Three Mennonite Quilting Sisters

Three Mennonite Quilting Sisters
Polly, Julia, Barbara

Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring Pinwheels

--Julia Posts --
This was a fast and fun little quilt to make.
c27
I got the idea from Jackie's tutorial. First you piece together blocks to make a top and add a border to it.
c25
Then make a template of a small square with the off centered X in it. You have to be sure that when laying the X on the lines that you don't cut into the next block.
c24
After I've cut out the blocks with the template the first quilt looks like Swiss cheese.  If you are really thrifty you may want to cut smaller blocks from what's left to use in the border.
c23
Keeping the small squares in order sew them together to make a smaller quilt with pinwheels.
c26
Add some borders, quilt it, and bind it, and ta-dah! I've made Spring Pinwheels in a simple fast way!
c27

3 comments:

parlasoni said...

cute aunt julia!!! what a unique way to make spinning pinwheels! i sure didn't see that method coming :)

PollythePatchworker said...

I remember seeing this demonstrated at the Lancaster Quilt Show last year. I LIKE the way you made your own template instead of buying the expensive acrylic one. *smile* Now you can buy some more fabric with the money you saved!
I'm hoping to spend some time this week tweeking my power point presentation. It needs some updating and cutting out and adding to.
The youth group will be coming here tomorrow evening so I want to get some cleaning done this afternoon. I've been machine quilting all morning and it's time I get down to work! Yes, cleaning is WORK, not play.

Zoe said...

Thank you for shharing this